LEGO Juniors Cars 3 Lightning McQueen Speed Launcher Reveiw

Cars 3 was a spectacular movie and I recommend you try to see it if you haven't already. But since this is from a newer movie, I feel compelled to say that there are spoilers in this review. Read at your own risk. :P

Cars is one of my favorite movie franchises. I wish I had picked up a few of the sets from the previous LEGO Cars theme when they were out. I was excited when we got images of the LEGO Juniors Cars 3 sets. My amazing little brother gave me a set a few months ago for my birthday and so here I am with a review for you all. This is my first Juniors set as well, so this will be an entirely new experience for me. 

This set currently retails for $9.99 and comes with 47 pieces. The set has a price per part ratio of 17 cents per part, which is quite high. The sets do come with a good amount of large specialized elements, but I think the set's budget could have allowed for more parts to be included. 

The main highlight of the set is the Lightning McQueen car. The car is a nice looking build, and it uses very few parts. There is a very nice looking print on two 2x4 bricks on each side of Lightning. The design of the prints on Lightning are quite nice, but the definition isn't that clear. The backside is quite blank and there is nothing to cover the back end of the car. It looks odd having the wheels show in the back. The wheels are a new part for this year and I think they look really nice. 

I should also mention that the new spoiler piece is quite nice. It is a definite improvement over the old design. (See, I told you there would be spoilers. ) 




There isn't much of a build for Lightning. The model is centered around a main central chassis. The other parts are just placed on the chassis. It makes the build simple so that younger builders can build the model.

The other part of the build is the speed launcher. The launcher holds one car, and when you push the red button the car goes flying off into the distance. Well, it is supposed to. The function does not quite work as well as I had hoped. The car will only go about a foot and it travels slowly. You have to align the car jut right and make sure you don't push with too much force. The lever can sometimes fly off and other times the car will only travel a few inches. 

The sloped element is a print, along with the brick showing which racers are leading. The build is based off of a large central brick base. The design is not that interesting, it seems quite mundane to be honest.

I am not too sure what my opinion is of this set. On one hand, I am incredibly happy to have my own Lightning McQueen car. I also like how all of the detailed elements are printed and not stickered. But on the other hand, the launcher is not functional and there is no real build to the set. The price per part ratio is high as well. However, I love the set and I have had a lot of fun playing around with it. There are many glaring flaws in the set, too many in my opinion. I would recommend this set, but only if you are a Cars fan.


Anyways, that is it for now! Thanks for reading!

Comments